Saturday 22 November 2014

Summer

In the sighs of shadowed faces
I see the ghosts of happy children
That once laughed softly and danced in the rain
Worn now by the expectations of a civilised world

Talk softly
Don’t sing while studying
Be polite and courteous
Smile even when you don’t feel like

And we have created a generation of ghosts
Living out of tombs in fear or forgetfulness
Being this or that
Not needing anymore to be told

But here comes the soft hum of a once remembered note
While she washes herself clean of the world
Maybe we aren’t ghosts after all!
Just  winter-worn  buds waiting for summer to bloom.


2 comments:

  1. To quote Margaret Atwood, “Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.”

    The pressures of being an adult really do get to us. I personally feel that every time I stifle my emotions under the carpet of composure, it aggravates it further. It was easier for me to let things go as a child. And it was far too easy to feel happy, and content with oneself.

    "Living out of tombs in fear or forgetfulness" - This is my favourite line. And I especially like how you have ended this on a positive note. Well penned. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing. Though years apart, this it a fond memory.

      Delete