Wednesday 24 April 2013

Must I Fight


Write write write,
She said
Each word more impatient than the last
And all I saw was sunflowers wilt
And gulmohars broken at the hilt

Write write write,
She said
Her dark eyes imploring the words to implode
But all I saw was great heights melt
The horizon meeting its own end

Write write write,
She said
Each word restless in the fixity of its self
And all I saw was red ivory
Blue nails and limp carcasses

Write write write,
She said
Each word tipping recklessly over the edge
But all I saw was the rocking horse toppled over
Little fragments of wood and dried glue

But write Write WRITE,
She said
And I slashed paper with ink
I watched as the wounds grew damp and dark
And white flesh faded into pools of leisurely love

Her hungry eyes watched lustily
Waiting for miraculous transformations
While I
Gently laid down stained nib and body
Opened its leather case and let it rest
Eyes shut in heavy prayer
Refusing to open to the battlefields before me
Refusing to see the blood I had shed
Refusing to see the people killed
The branches broken
The petals wilted
If it be this that I must cause
Let me not write at all

No comments:

Post a Comment